Tuesday 18 November 2014

Survivor Series Preview & Predictions

So, we are now into Survivor Series week and the card is looking fairly light at the moment.
Pretty much the whole event is being built around Team Cena vs Team Authority. But we'll get to that in a moment.



Let's start with the Tag Team titles, which will be up for grabs in a Fatal Four Way;

Gold and Stardust (c) vs. The Usos vs. Los Matadores vs. The Miz and Damien Mizdow.

I called it that Gold & Stardust would win the 
titles at Night Of Champions and I still think they make decent enough tag title holders.
However, The Miz & Mizdow are hot right now (particularly Mizdow!) and I think them as champions could prove to be very entertaining.
Los Matadores have picked up eye-catching recent wins over the title holders. But they are nowhere near over enough to actually wear the gold, in my opinion.
The Usos remain as exciting to watch as ever, but it would be a big surprise to see them regain the titles this time round.

VERDICT: Miz & Mizdow title change. Or Gold & Stardust retain.


There is also a Divas title match on the card;

AJ Lee (c) vs. Nikki Bella

The Divas title often appears to be the proverbial "hot potato". However on this occasion, I fancy the title to stay with AJ.
I would imagine that Brie Bella will get involved in the match at some point, to sabotage her twin sister's title challenge.
Not massively excited about this one if I'm truly honest.
I much preferred the Divas division when Paige was in the title picture.

VERDICT: AJ retains.


The Lunatic Fringe is in action against the "Eater Of Worlds";

Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt

I was very much underwhelmed (in fact, a bit pissed off) when Wyatt ran interference in the main event of Hell In A Cell.
1) Because I was enjoying the Ambrose/Rollins feud and 2) Because I don't think Wyatt is over enough to warrant hijacking a PPV main event.
However, I have to confess to eating a slice or two of humble pie! Mainly because Wyatt's feud with Ambrose is the first one I've really bought into.
Ok, so he had his moments with Cena (including a great match at Payback), but his feud with Chris Jericho was mediocre at best.
Something about this Wyatt/Ambrose feud just makes more sense to me. It feels that Wyatt is making a genuine point when cutting promo's on Ambrose - The mentions of Ambrose' parents and background just add fuel to the fire as well.
Don't expect this to be a patch on anything in the Ambrose/Rollins bracket. But I can see it being solid enough, with a heel win and a lingering question mark as to whether or not Ambrose will "see the light" and join Wyatt on the dark side.

VERDICT: Wyatt win.


And now for our main event of the evening;

Team Cena (John Cena, Dolph Ziggler, Big Show, Erick Rowan and Ryback) vs. Team Authority (Seth Rollins, Kane, Mark Henry, Rusev and Luke Harper)

Firstly, lets take a look at what is at stake here;

Quite simply - If Team Authority loses - They will no longer be in power. They will no longer be "The Authority".

And that's exactly why they won't lose.

Do we seriously believe WWE have a strong enough storyline alternative to The Authority running the show?
It would mean an entire change to the WWE dynamic and I personally can't think of anything solid enough to go with as an alternative.

Don't get me wrong here; I would LOVE to see Team Cena win and for The Authority to lose every ounce of power they currently have!
God knows "The Authority" theme has gone on for an age - Right the way back to the evil Mr. McMahon of the Attitude era.
But there is a reason why an authority figure seems to always be positioned as a heel - It works.
To change all that now seems like one heck of an overhaul and one I'm not buying into, for the moment at least.

As for the teams - I'm not crazy about some of the Superstars involved in the match.
I would have prefered to have seen a Roman Reigns or Randy Orton join up with team Cena. But obviously it wasn't to be. Even having Dean Ambrose on Team Cena and Bray Wyatt on Team Authority would have been great.

Instead we get Ryback.

I have a lot of respect for him coming back to the WWE so swiftly after an injury. But for him to walk straight back, randomly into the main event picture, is a very strange creative decision.
This is the same Ryback, who just a few months back, was jobbing alongside Curtis Axel as a failed tag team.
The same Ryback who had his stab at the main event limelight a few years ago, but didn't work out.
I really do worry that WWE are trying to put him over in a big way again. I hope not, there is WAY better talent in the company.

The Luke Harper/Erick Rowan dynamic is an interesting one and one we never saw coming!
On a similar note - Big Show and Mark Henry have their own rivalry going on as well.
Rusev is a great addition to the match as his mega-push from WWE continues.
And everyone else, whom I haven't mentioned (Cena, Ziggler, Rollins, Kane), all definitely have their place in the main event.

But, like I said. I can't see past The Authority taking the spoils from this one.

VERDICT: Team Authority win.

No comments:

Post a Comment